St. James United Methodist Church banner
Our History

1892

First St. James buildingRev. William West came to the newly incorporated city of Niagara Falls, New York, with a directive to start a Methodist church. The church was built at the corner of South Avenue and 15th Street and the first service was held on December 18th with the sermon given by Rev. S. M. Gerald. On December 21st, the church was dedicated by Bishop John Vincent with the name St. James Methodist Episcopal Church—named for James, the Saint of Good Works. On Christmas day, the first Sunday School met, with 33 members, and Rev. West preached his first sermon.

1912

The church building was separated into two sections which were moved elsewhere in the city to become homes. On August 19th, ground was broken for the new church, and on September 29th, the cornerstone was laid.

St. James built in 1912-131913

The new church was dedicated on June 15th by Bishop William Burt. Rev. Isaac Crocker was pastor at that time.

1939

We became St. James Methodist Church with the merger of the Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Episcopal South, and the Methodist Protestant Church.

1962

Groundbreaking for the new church on Porter Road took place on July 22nd. Rev. Keith Dewey was pastor. The cornerstone was laid on September 22nd, 1963.

1964

Current St. James buildingThe first service and consecration took place on February 16th, with Rev. Bertram Croop, pastor. Rev. Dean Richardson, District Superintendent gave the sermon.

1968

In April the name was changed to St. James United Methodist Church when the merger took place between the Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren Churches.

1969

On March 6th, Rev. William Jessop and his wife Ruth moved into the new Parsonage at the church. On June first, St. James United Methodist Church merged with Albright United Methodist Church, retaining the name St. James United Methodist Church.

Stained Glass window with St. James logo1980

Ground was broken for the new sanctuary, and the first service was held in the new sanctuary on November 2nd. The Sanctuary was dedicated on November 16th.

Present

St. James continues to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Niagara Falls and the surrounding communities.

List of pastors from 1892 to the present...

About our beautiful stained glass windows...

 

 

St. James United Methodist Church, 4661 Porter Road, Niagara Falls, NY 14305 (716) 297-6421
© 2015 St. James United Methodist Church